I started to identify and track the financial institutions on twitter since 15 March 2009.
It is a work in progress, so please do not hesitate to flag any missing initiatives!
On regular basis, I will post some statistics and insights to understand how banks are leveraging twitter. I will do my best to spot the hit and miss, the best practices, the most innovative initiatives and the funniest ones.
VB – Twitter Statistics
Currently, I track 105 twitter accounts from banks, credit unions, credit card issuers and insurance companies.
Please find below some stats (between 4-May & 12-May / stats collected on 12-May around 11am GMT).
* Followers of FIs: 3,779 (new) / 43,748 (total) / 416 (average)
* Updates from FIs: 1,369 (new) / 24,612 (total) / 243 (average)
* Branded Pages: 26 / 28% (basic) – 10 / 10% (advanced)
* Top 3 FIs – Largest Group of Followers: @Wachovia (3,469), @HRBlock(2,791), @INGDIRECT (2,782)
-> 49 FIs (+7) have 200+ followers and 19 FIs (+3) have 500+ followers.
* The 1,000+ Follower Club: 11 FIs (+4) have 1,000+ followers, @Wachoviais still the only FI with over 3,000 followers.
* Top 3 FIs – Most Active: Advanta’s @Ideablob (111 updates),@Ask_WellsFargo (91), @BofA_Help (81 updates)
VB – Comments
* UBank – Update on their USB Key initiative: even their detractors should recognize the success of UBank’s initiative. Today, they count over 1,190 followerswhereas they had around 500 followers on 12-May!
The @UBank team announced earlier today that they had already shipped all the 1,000 USB keys. It makes me wonder how they will make sure the newly acquired followers will still be following them by 31-May-09…
* Embedded live twitter feeds: Advanta via bloblive and UBank have both embeded a live feed of the tweets on their brand. Being live and on twitter, there is no moderation process. Even though those feeds are not explicitly marketed on their main website, it is definitely a brave experiment from two well-known financial institutions.
* RBC’s official twitter account: @Visible_Banking (11-May) #InsideOutRBC Interesting approach from @RBC to leverage twitter as well as their platinum sponsorship of Toronto’s LGBT Film&Video Festival
Insideout competition. I invite you to check the buzz around InsideOutRBCby yourself.
* Most sizable growth: 362 more people (+15%) are following@INGDIRECT, 217 more followers (+10%) for @Ideablob, 186 (+21%) for@ANZMoneyManager, 175 more followers (+58%) for @UBank.
* Followers: @RBCBank lost one follower.
* Following: 3 banks added a massive number of “web friends” +476 for@Ideablob, +456 for @INGDIRECT, and +277 for @ANZMoneyManager.
The following FI stopped following a few twitterati: nab, Allianz Versicherung, Pioneer Credit Union and CA Health Insurance.
* Updates: Banco de Guayaquil “lost” nine updates…
Have you ever come across a loss of updates on Twitter? Could it be a bug from the popular micro-blogging platform?
@Visible_Banking on Twitter / Followers 71-90
In addition toVisible-Banking.com, the Visible Banking Page on Facebook, thanks for following me on Twitter. I am glad to announce that@Visible_Banking has 322 followers so far.
Thank you all for engaging with me on this exciting platform, and spreading the word around you!
Please find below my followers 71-90 (listed by chronological order):
71. @andykeith (US): Andy Keith, Interactive B2B Strategist at Weber Shandwick
72. @MauriceMcBride (UK): Maurice Mcbride, Director of Technology at Optaros – Maurice’s blog
73. @cammiemorrow (US): Cammie Morrow, Marketing & Business Development Director at Hopewell Federal Credit Union
74. @alexzawya (Lebanon)
75. @InformaResearch (US)
76. @emmafezwwez (US)
77. @janeueddue (US)
78. @rate_nerd (US)
79. @evr (Netherlands): Erik van Roekel, Business Development Manager Retail / Internet at ING
80. @alexanderwatson (Canada): alex watson, Associate at Helix Commerce – Alex’ blog
81. @dklein18 (Australia): David Klein, Senior Strategist at National Australia Bank
82. @Cb5D2k (?): Mike Smith
83. @Danischouten (Netherlands): Daniëlle Schouten, Marketing consultant at VODW Marketing
84. @OpenDictator (Netherlands): Stephan Verveen, Independent Consultant at Verveen.net
85. @vanWilgenburgh (Netherlands): Jaco van Wilgenburgh, Enterprise Strategy Consultant at Microsoft – Jaco’s blog
86. @rshevlin (US): Ron Shevlin, Senior Analyst at Aite Group
87. @dkakaiya (France): Daphné Kakaiya, Head of eCommunications at EFMA
88. @zecco (US)
89. @CurrencyTim (Canada): Tim McAlpine, Owner at Currency Marketing– Tim’s excellent blog
90. @GoodCheapHouses (US): John Zehr
VB Twitter Watch: 105 twitter accounts tracked so far
Since Visible Banking Twitter Watch #4, I have added 12 twitter accounts to the list: 1st Mariner Bank – First Access, first direct, Hann. Volksbank, HRBlock, landessparkasse, LBS IMMOBILIEN Ost, RBC Royal Bank, Sparkasse GE, Sparkasse Hanau, Sparkasse KölnBonn, Sparkasse PF CW, usaa_news.
I am currently tracking the following FIs with a presence on Twitter:
* US – Banks: 1st Mariner Bank (2), Arvest Bank, Bank of America (2), Bank of Oklahoma, Chase Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Citibank, Fidelity Bank, First American Bank, First Arkansas Bank, First Federal, First National Bank, Hancock Bank, ING Direct, Marquette Bank, Nicolet Bank, North Shore Bank, Northeast Bank, Poeples State Bank, RBC Bank, Suntrust Bank,SVB_Financial, Wachovia, Webster Bank, Wells Fargo (2),
* US – Credit Unions: 66 Fed CU, Alliance CU, Bellco CU, Brewery CU,Capitol CU, Chetco CU, COP CU, CU CU, DATCU CU, ELGA CU, Ent CU,Florida CU, FORUM CU, Gesa CU, Group Health CU, Idahy CU, Kemba CU, KU CU, MaPS CU, Mazuma CU, MEA Fed CU, NWGA CU, Oklahoma Employees CU, Pioneer CU, Tech CU, Telesis CU, US First CU, UW CU,
* US – Credit Cards Issuers: Advanta, Discover Card,
* US – Insurance: AIG Hawaii, Allianz Versicherung, CA Health Insurance, Dear AIG, ND Insurance Dept, VPI Pet Insurance
* Spain – Banks: Banco de Santader, Banco Sabadell, BBVA, Caja Navarra
* Canada: Banque du Canada, CEO_INGDIRECT, RBC, Vancity (2)
* The Netherlands – Banks: Friesland Bank, Rabobank (2)
* Germany – Banks: BNP Paribas, GLS Bank, SEB Bank
* Australia: ANZozCEO, ANZMoneyManager, individuum, NAB, nablab, Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help
* South Africa: First National Bank
* Chile: Banco de Chile
* Ecuador: Banco de Guayaquil
* Puerto Rico: Banco Popular
* Romania: Libra Bank
* UK: Capital One
To find out more about social media in banking and financial services, I invite you to check my social media directory and to contribute.