I started to identify and track the financial institutions on twitter since 15 March 2009.
It is a work in progress, so please do not hesitate to flag any missing initiatives!
On regular basis, I will post some statistics and insights to understand how banks are leveraging twitter. I will do my best to spot the hit and miss, the best practices, the most innovative initiatives and the funniest ones.
VB – Twitter Statistics
Currently, I track 93 twitter accounts from banks, credit unions, credit card issuers and insurance companies.
Please find below some stats (between 30-Apr & 4-May / stats collected on 4-May around 5pm GMT).
* Followers of FIs: 2,735 (new) / 34,553 (total) / 372 (average)
* Updates from FIs: 408 (new) / 21,941 (total) / 244 (average)
* Branded Pages: 26 or 28% (basic) / 10 or 10% (advanced)
* Top 3 FIs – Largest Group of Followers: @Wachovia (3,348),@INGDIRECT (2,420), Advanta’s @Ideablob (2,001)
-> 42 FIs (+10) have 200+ followers and 16 FIs (+1) have 500+ followers.
* The 1,000+ Follower Club: still only 7 FIs have 1,000+ followers,@Wachovia is the only bank with over 3,000 followers.
* Top 3 FIs – Most Active: @BofA_Help (41 updates), Advanta’s @Ideablob(40 updates), @GHCU (32)
VB – Comments
* What’s next @ANZozCEO? Brian Hartzer, CEO Australia and Global Head of Retail for ANZ Bank is leaving the bank to join RBS. Brian started using twitter @ANZozCEO on 17-Mar-09. To date @ANZozCEO counts 307 web friends, 430 followers and 64 updates. What’s next for this executive twitter account? Will the next CEO take the time to connect with the twitterati too? Just like his predecessor Greg McAweeney, GM at RaboPlus, takes the time to blog and respond to comments himself.
* UBank, the first bank in the world to reward its followers? I invite you to check the article I posted yesterday, “Visible Banking Twitter Watch: UBank (backed by NAB) Rewards its Followers by Giving them a free 1gb USB Flash“. I would like to remind my dear fellow industry bloggers that banks are still experimenting on twitter. We should give them credit for that. Hence I find it too easy to talk about “cheap PR stunt“. It is certainely a cost effective way to get a good coverage worldwide, but I suggest we let people do the talking. I will follow this initiative closely in the next few weeks.
By May 31st, we should be able to properly assess the success (or the failure) of this initiative. The number of blog posts and the number of followers are clearly two of the key success criteria, but I am more interested in assessing the ability of the UBank team to engage with the respondents and the impact of this initiative on the people’s perception of the bank.
* Most sizable growth: 455 more people (+23%) are following@INGDIRECT, 103 more followers (+56%) for @ANZMoneyManager, 75 more followers (+22%) for @ANZozCEO.
* Followers: @bancosabadell, @RBCBank and @RBCInnovator each lost 1 follower.
* Following: 3 banks added a massive number of “web friends”@INGDIRECT (+414), @ANZMoneyManager (+313) and @Wachovia(+146).
The following FI stopped following a few twitterati @Ideablob, @1stMarinerBank, Allianz Versicherung, NWGACU, @PeoplesBank.
* Updates: @KembaCU “lost” one update…
Last week, I mentioned in one of my tweets that “since Monday (29-Apr-09) @ANZMoneyManager @mycucommunity and @rbjacobs deleted more than 10 updates each”. Those three FI confirmed they didn’t delete any of their updates. Have you ever come across a loss of updates on Twitter? Could it be a bug from the popular micro-blogging platform?
@Visible_Banking on Twitter / Followers 51-70
In addition toVisible-Banking.com, the Visible Banking Page on Facebook, thanks for following me on Twitter. I am glad to announce that@Visible_Banking has 275 followers so far.
Thank you all for engaging with me on this exciting platform, and spreading the word around you!
Please find below my followers 51-70 (listed by chronological order):
51. @SonyaJMills (US): Sonya Mills
52. @jonmell (UK): Jon mell, Head of Sales and Marketing, Enterprise 2.0 lead at Headshift – Jon’s blog
53. @fsokx (US): fsokx-Financal News
54. @jjegher (Canada): Jacob Jegher, Senior Analyst at Celent – Jacob’s blog
55. @harrievo (Netherlands): Harrie Vollaard, Innovation manager at Rabobank – Harrie’s blog
56. @franman12384 (US): Francesco Paciocco, Digital Media Account Executive at Cohn & Wolfe
57. @joseantoniogall (Spain): Jose Antonio Gall
58. @daanjj (Netherlands): Daan-Josephus Jitta, Senior Vice President Direct Channels & Innovation at ABN AMRO
59. @DavMa (Spain): David Marti, Interim CTO
60. @finnovation (Poland): Michal Kisiel, Analyst at Bankier.pl – Michal’s Finnovation blog
61. @cvanamelsvoort (Netherlands): Casper van Amelsvoort, Marketing Manager at Rabobank
62. @DRS_Advisors (US)
63. @SmartyPig (US)
66. @smartselling (Australia): Mark Parker, Owner at Smart Selling
67. @AnnelieNaes (US): Annelie Näs, Marketing Specialist at TEMPUS Group
68. @montymetzger (Germany): Monty Metzger, CEO at Ahead of Time GmbH
69. @jpunishill (US): Jaime Punishill, Director Customer & Online Strategy at myFi
70. @ericcook (US): Eric Cook, Certified Internet Business Consultant at WSI Internet Consulting
VB Twitter Watch: 93 twitter accounts tracked so far
Since Visible Banking Twitter Watch #3, I have added 21 twitter accounts to the list: CEO_INGDIRECT, Alliance CU, Allianz Versicherung, Arvest Bank, Banque du Canada, CA Health Insurance, Capitol CU, Chetco CU, DATCU CU, Ent CU, First American Bank, Florida CU, Gesa CU, individuum, MaPS CU, Marquette Bank, Mazuma CU, MEA Fed CU, nablab, ND Insurance Dept, UW CU.
I am currently tracking the following FIs with a presence on Twitter:
* US – Banks: 1st Mariner Bank (2), Arvest Bank, Bank of America (2), Bank of Oklahoma, Chase Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Citibank, Fidelity Bank, First American Bank, First Arkansas Bank, First Federal, First National Bank, Hancock Bank, ING Direct, Marquette Bank, Nicolet Bank, North Shore Bank, Northeast Bank, Poeples State Bank, RBC Bank, Suntrust Bank,SVB_Financial, Wachovia, Webster Bank, Wells Fargo (2),
* US – Credit Unions: 66 Fed CU, Alliance CU, Bellco CU, Brewery CU,Capitol CU, Chetco CU, COP CU, CU CU, DATCU CU, ELGA CU, Ent CU,Florida CU, FORUM CU, Gesa CU, Group Health CU, Idahy CU, Kemba CU, KU CU, MaPS CU, Mazuma CU, MEA Fed CU, NWGA CU, Oklahoma Employees CU, Pioneer CU, Tech CU, Telesis CU, US First CU, UW CU,
* US – Credit Cards Issuers: Advanta, Discover Card,
* US – Insurance: AIG Hawaii, Allianz Versicherung, CA Health Insurance, Dear AIG, ND Insurance Dept, VPI Pet Insurance
* Spain – Banks: Banco de Santader, Banco Sabadell, BBVA, Caja Navarra
* Canada: Banque du Canada, CEO_INGDIRECT, RBC, Vancity (2)
* The Netherlands – Banks: Friesland Bank, Rabobank (2)
* Germany – Banks: BNP Paribas, GLS Bank, SEB Bank
* Australia: ANZozCEO, ANZMoneyManager, individuum, NAB, nablab,Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help
* South Africa: First National Bank
* Chile: Banco de Chile
* Ecuador: Banco de Guayaquil
* Puerto Rico: Banco Popular
* Romania: Libra Bank
* UK: Capital One
To find out more about social media in banking and financial services, I invite you to check my social media directory and to contribute.