Synthetix published a survey, undertaken among 500 UK and US consumers to highlight their opinion about self-service as a channel of choice.
The survey showed that web self-service is the primary channel for consumers who source out information for after-sales service. It also revealed that 90% of consumers always check a website before calling or emailing a company, while 89% are more satisfied when their questions are answered online quickly. The findings illustrate that consumers actively prefer to be able to self-serve online.
Synthetix also asked consumers to rate their service when using multiple channels to contact a company and find that consumers are craving consistency. According to survey, 91% of consumers require consistent information over multiple channels, 65% have received inconsistent information, and 74% were annoyed by a poor multi-channel experience. This demonstrates the importance for businesses to implement a well-maintained and centralized knowledge-base that can provide consistent information to customers.
The survey also found that 25% of consumers would use live chat to contact customer service representatives; 75% of the, want to use a smartphone for self-service; and over 50% expect companies to provide customer service via social media, making multi-channel service the right strategy.
Another major finding is the importance of customer service to customers. 9 out of 10 say that after-sales customer service is important. However, only 1 out of 10 is completely happy with the current customer service. 9 out of 10 would move to another company due to their current poor customer service.
On the other hand, one of the positive findings of this survey is that 9 out of 10 people feel loyal to a company that offers good customer service.
- 500 US and UK consumers answered the survey about service
- 90% of them always check a website before calling or emailing the company
- 89% are more satisfied when they get answers online immediately
- 91% of them expect to receive consistent information from multiple customer contact channels
- 65% received inconsistent information when contacting via multiple channels
- 74% ranked poor multi-channel experience as annoying
- 9 out 10 customers deem after-sales consumer service important
- 1 out 10 is happy with the current customer service
- 9 out of 10 would change companies due to poor customer service
Peter McKean, Synthetix Managing Director: “One of the positive findings from this survey is that nine out of ten people feel loyal towards a company when customer service is done well. The vast majority of consumers prefer to self-serve answers to their questions online over calling or e-mailing, and all they ask is that you pay this area due attention and keep their multi-channel experience consistent.”
Covered by Visible Banking Team