I hope you enjoyed watching my Visible Banking video presenting the key social media news during the first week of December. Today, I would like to share with you my pick for last week.
Social Media & Asset – Investment – Wealth Management
Last Tuesday I was in Edinburgh to deliver a client presentation on social media at a wellknown Asset Management firm. It made me investigate how the Asset Managers, the Financial Advisors, and the Investors are using social media today, and where the opportunity is for 2010.
I invite you to check a couple of my slides flagging innovative online initiatives from Schroders, Barclays, Axa Investment Managers orVanguard, as well as dynamic startups and online communities like zecco,advisortweets, socialpicks and stocktwits…
Innovation in Financial Services
On Wednesday Darren Armitage, Head of IT Innovation at HSBC, and I had a great conversation on social media in banking with the audience at Chris Skinner‘s financial services club “what’s innovative in banking?” event.
I love being challenged by passionate bankers. It is always a great opportunity to change people’s perception about social media and act as an eye opener. If you were attending on Wednesday night, please leave a comment!
Le Web in Paris, the #1 European Internet Event
Those two commitments made me pass on the opportunity to live blog from the excellent “Le Web” conference in Paris organized by one of the most wellknown Frenchman in the online space, Loic Le meur Founder of Seesmic.
This year, Le Web 3 attracted 2,400 bloggers and social media enthusiasts from 50 countries. What an achievement. Felicitations Loic!
#1 Guest Post on Visible Banking
Last week, I published the first ever guest blog on Visible Banking:Overview of Social Media & Banking in Israel by Gidi Dorevitch. Please make sure to read this excellent overview and get back to me with your feedback.
And send me an email if you would like to contribute on VB.
Social Media News
* Insurance: I noticed a lot of activity and posts on social media in the insurance industry. You have to watch the video and slides from Progressive Insurance at Gaspedal’s Social Media Business Council event.
@Progressive is #4 on my list of most followed insurance companies on twitter.
* Calendar: I look forward to receiving my calendar compliment offbd_insurance in Ireland (not sure it is the most successful way to urge people to contribute, and to drive quality content on the blog, but I like Art and in my opinion it was worth spending a couple of minutes while in Scotland to leave a comment on their blog)
* Twitter & ROI: Talking about ROI, congrats to the Stephanie and the Social Media Team at Dell which offically announced $6.5 million worth of new business from their twitter account @DellOutlet in the last 2-3 years.
First, let me ask you a question: how much do you value your customer relationships? My answer: think providing customer service on twitter, retaining one initially angry customer, turning her into a brand advocate, and winning a new client on the back of it? All on twitter. Let me add that doing a good job on twitter doesn’t require too much time and resources. There is your ROI.
* Au revoir: Bank of America’s Future of Banking blog with its last post from March 2009 (another example when the leading man leaves, everything stops) and Capital One’s online community Slingshot.
* Bananas (?!): no comment. Check the infamous Westpac video…
Pick of the Week
You will find below my pick of the week on twitter. For a more comprehensive list of social media in financial services news, please check my favourites on Visible_Banking.
To add more value to the list, I will always make sure to link those news to my previous articles on Visible Banking. You will find a few valuable links at the end of this post: event coverage, video interviews, breaking news.
electrouncle: Lothar Lochmaier befragt die GLS Bank zu Social Media usw. Interessant http://ow.ly/LkrP ¦ 9:47 PM Dec 12th from HootSuite
loic: 94 videos of the #LeWeb 2009 sessions http://bit.ly/8CMPij ¦8:56 AM Dec 12th from Seesmic
ALInsurance: @Visible_Banking WOW! Thank you for listing me as one of the top 10 most followed financial institutions on Twitter. Very cool!!!#fb ¦ 8:31 PM Dec 11th from Tweetie in reply to Visible_Banking