I started to identify and track the financial institutions on twitter since 15 March 2009.
It is a work in progress, so please do not hesitate to flag any missing initiatives!
On regular basis, I will post some statistics and insights to understand how banks are leveraging twitter. I will do my best to spot the hit and miss, the best practices, the most innovative initiatives and the funniest ones.
VB – Twitter Statistics
Currently, I track 158 twitter accounts from banks, credit unions, credit card issuers, insurance company and tax specialists.
Please find below some stats (between 18-May & 25-May / stats collected on 25-May around 7pm GMT +1)
* Followers of FIs: 12,816 (new) / 67,948 (total) / 432 (average)
* Updates from FIs: 3,985 (new) / 31,322 (total) / 208 (average)
* Restricted tweets: 7
* Top 5 FIs – Most Followed: @SomersetMtg (7,779), @Wachovia (3,746),@INGDIRECT (3,091), @usaa_news (2,941), @HRBlock (2,871).
-> 77 FIs (+20) have 200+ followers and 29 FIs (+5) have 500+ followers.
* The 1,000+ Follower Club: 14 FIs (+1) have 1,000+ followers,@INGDIRECT joined @Wachovia in the exclusive 3,000+ follower club.More than 7,779 followers for @SomersetMtg! Somerset Mortgage Lenders is adding on average 73 new followers every day, with only 4 daily updates. Best in class.
* Top 3 FIs – Most Active: @Ask_WellsFargo (97 updates), Advanta’s@Ideablob (72 updates), @BofA_Help (71 updates),
VB – Comments
* UBank: @UBank now counts over 1,450 followers whereas they had only 217 followers on April 20th. What a success. I wonder how many other financial institutions will try to emulate UBank’s USB Key initiative in the next few months…
* Triple Quadruple: @HRBlock and @Ideablob are the only two financial institutions with 1,000+ following – followers – updates.
* Credit Unions: if you share an interest for credit unions, I invite you to check Roger’s @CUTweetTrack where he lists all the credit unions on twitter. He has identified over 200 credit unions so far.
For the time being, I decided not to add every single CU to my list but just the most followed ones. If I missed anything interesting, please do not hesitate to give me a shout!
* Most sizable growth: 1,704 more people (+28%) are following@SomersetMtg, 201 more followers (+16%) for @UBank and (+7.3%)@usaa_news, 196 more followers (+17.2%) for @ANZMoneyManager, and 189 more followers (+8.2%) for @Ideablob.
* Following: @SomersetMtg added a massive 1,922 web friends last week. In the same period @ANZMoneyManager added 385 web friends.
The following FI stopped following a few twitterati: 66 Fed Credit Union, Allianz Versicherung, Fidelity Bank, KU Credit Union, UMB Financial Corp, usaa_news and Wachovia..
@Visible_Banking on Twitter / Followers 111-130
In addition toVisible-Banking.com, the Visible Banking Page on Facebook, thanks for following me on Twitter. I am glad to announce that@Visible_Banking has 388 followers so far.
Thank you all for engaging with me on this exciting platform, and spreading the word around you!
Please find below my followers 110-130 (listed by chronological order):
111. @AppraiserJenn (US): Jennifer Cote, Owner at J.A. Cote Appraisals, LLC
112. @ch1rp (?)
113. @elizabethsosnow (US): Elizabeth Sosnow, Managing Director at BlissPR
114. @mapalabs (): Mapa International
115. @eran187 (Israel): Eran Topelberg, Business Development, Direct Banking at Bank Hapoalim
116. @koudas (Canada): Nick Koudas, co-founder and CEO at Sysomos Inc
117. @Efma_news (France): Efma
118. @Rogue_Banker (?)
119. @TarnyaBaohm (Australia): Tarnya Baohm, Digital Marketing Manager at Rabobank
120. @NCRCorporation (US)
121. @CatalystAdv (US): Steve Burlison, Owner at Catalyst
122. @bankingreview (Australia)
123. @bankerstuff (US): Karen Licker, MD – Marketing & Business Development at Bankerstuff.com
124. @charispalmer (Australia): Charis Palmer, Editor at Online Banking Review
125. @AzzaroFashion (Australia):
126. @nwehunt (US): Nate Wehunt, Director of eCommerce at Harris Bank
127. @dmgerbino (US): David Gerbino, AVP, Research and Database Marketing Manager at Provident New York Bancorp
128. @Michalhi (?)
129. @mhadburg (): Michele Hadburg, Senior Associate at The Bateman Group
130. @retailbanking (US): David Kerstei, President at Peak Performance Consulting Group
VB Twitter Watch: 158 twitter accounts tracked so far
Since Visible Banking Twitter Watch #6, I have added 37 twitter accounts to the list: CCollegiateFCU, CCU_Listener / Companion CU, ChartwayFCU, CitiCardsCanada, Coast_Capital / Julie from Coast, Commonwealth CU, CO-OP Network, cu1ks / Credit Union 1 of KS, CUCSaskatoon / Credit Union Centre, EGEFCU / General Electric FCU, elfcu / Eli Lilly FCU, EvansvilleFCU, fbd_ie / FBD Insurance, FinancialTrust / Financial Trust FCU, Harborstone / Ken Bloomfield, HawthorneCU, HopeCUMemphis, icul / Iowa CU League, iDudeLuvsRic / Call FCU, incomeprotect, LoughCU / Cian O’Regan, MasterCardNews, MSU Federal CU, nwcu / Deanna at NWCU, Ohio National, OHsCreditUnions, SEFCU, tauntonfcu / Taunton Federal CU, TFCU / Teachers FCU, truliant / Truliant FCU, TSCU / Tempe Schools CU, TX_CU_League, UFCU, Verityonline / Laurel McJ, Viaticals, waleague / Washington CU League, YMoneyMatters.
I am currently tracking the following FIs with a presence on Twitter:
* US – Banks: 1st Mariner Bank (3), Arvest Bank, Bank of America (2), Bank of Oklahoma, Chase Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Citibank, Fidelity Bank, First American Bank, First Arkansas Bank, First Federal, First National Bank, Hancock Bank, ING Direct, Marquette Bank, Nicolet Bank, North Shore Bank, Northeast Bank, Orrstown Bank, Poeples State Bank, Sound Community Bank, Susquehanna Bank, RBC Bank, Suntrust Bank,SVB_Financial, usaa_news, Wachovia, Webster Bank, Wells Fargo (2),
* US – Credit Unions: 66 Fed CU, Alliance CU, Bellco CU, Brewery CU,Capitol CU, Chetco CU, COP CU, Cornerstone_FCU, CU CU, DATCU CU,EducatorsCU, ELGA CU, Ent CU, Florida CU, FORUM CU, Gesa CU, Group Health CU, Heartland CU, Idahy CU, Kemba CU, KU CU, MaPS CU,Mazuma CU, MEA Fed CU, MSU Federal CU, NWGA CU, Oklahoma Employees CU, Pioneer CU, Tech CU, Telesis CU, Texas Dow Employees CU, US First CU, UT Federal Credit Union, UW CU, WV United FCU
* US – Credit Cards Issuers: Advanta, Discover Card,
* US – Insurance: AIG Hawaii, Allianz Versicherung, CA Health Insurance, Dear AIG, ND Insurance Dept, VPI Pet Insurance
* US – Others: HRBlock, Somerset Mortgage, UMB Financial Corp
* Spain – Banks: Banco de Santader, Banco Sabadell, BBVA, Caja Navarra
* Canada: Banque du Canada, CEO_INGDIRECT, RBC, RBC Royal Bank,Vancity (2)
* The Netherlands – Banks: Friesland Bank, Rabobank (2)
* Germany – Banks: BNP Paribas, GLS Bank, Hann. Volksbank, landessparkasse, LBS IMMOBILIEN Ost, SEB Bank, Sparkasse GE, Sparkasse Hanau, Sparkasse KölnBonn, Sparkasse PF CW
* Australia: ANZozCEO, ANZMoneyManager, individuum, NAB, nablab, Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help
* South Africa: First National Bank
* Chile: Banco de Chile
* Ecuador: Banco de Guayaquil
* Puerto Rico: Banco Popular
* Romania: Libra Bank
* UK: Capital One, first direct
* France: Caisse Epargne, Ecureuil – Benefices Futur, Ecureuil – Entrepreneurs, Ecureuil.fr
To find out more about social media in banking and financial services I invite you to check, and contribute to, my SOCIAL MEDIA DIRECTORY.