I started to identify and track the financial institutions on twitter since 15 March 2009.
It is a work in progress, so please do not hesitate to flag any missing initiatives!
On regular basis, I will post some statistics and insights to understand how banks are leveraging twitter. I will do my best to spot the hit and miss, the best practices, the most innovative initiatives and the funniest ones.
VB – Twitter Statistics
Please find below some stats (27 April 2009 – 8am GMT).
* Followers of FIs: 27,157 (total) / 372 (average)
* Updates from FIs: 19,616 (total) / 269 (average)
* Branded Pages: 26 or 35% (basic) / 8 or 10% (advanced)
* Top 3 FIs – Largest Group of Followers: @Wachovia (3,188), Advanta’s@Ideablob (1,952), @BofA_Help (1,771)
-> In the last 4 days (since VBTW#2), 7 FIs saw their follower base grow by more than 15% @HancockBank, @anzmoneymanager, @VancityBuzz,@Frieslandbank, @ELGAcu, @NAB (80% growth to 54) and @INGDIRECTwhich added a staggering group of 404 new followers.
-> Still 32 FIs have 200+ followers and 14 have 500+ followers.
* The 1,000+ Follower Club: now 7 FIs have 1,000+ followers: congrats toWells Fargo which became this weekend the only FI with two twitter accounts over 1,000 followers with @WellsFargo and @Ask_WellsFargo.
* Top 3 FIs – Most Active in the last 4 days: Advanta’s @Ideablob (33 updates), @CajaNavarra (28 updates), @BofA_Help (25 updates)
VB – Comments
* Giant growth: 404 more people (+33%) are following @INGDIRECT since last Thursday! It is a massive growth that I couldn’t explain nor confirm ontwittercounter.com…
Well done to @Wachovia and @BofA_Help which added respectively 196 and 193 new followers.
* Followers: since Thursday, @bancosabadell lost 3 followers and@Capitalone_UK lost one. Last week, @bbvaopentalent and@bancoguayaquil lost some followers too.
* Following: in the last four days, @1stMarinerBank and @Ask_WellsFargoboth stopped following one twitter accounts. Last week,@ANZMoneyManager stopped following 92 accounts and @DearAIG 2 accounts.
* Updates: @BancoGuayaquil got rid of 21 of their previous updates,@NWGACU got rid of 19!
Have you noticed any other companies deleting their updates?
@Visible_Banking on Twitter / Followers 31-50
In addition toVisible-Banking.com, the Visible Banking Page on Facebook, thanks for following me on Twitter. I am glad to announce that@Visible_Banking has 227 followers so far.
Thank you all for engaging with me on this exciting platform, and spreading the word around you!
Please find below my followers 31-50 (listed by chronological order):
31. @YoungFree (Canada)
32. @swickstrom (US): Scott C. Wickstrom, Vice President & Associate Partner at Rosetta
33. @yonster (Israel): Yonni Harif, Marketing Manager at WorkLight –Yonni’s blog
34. @fegido (Spain): Fernando Egido, Head of Channels. Innovation and Strategic Deployment Area atCaja Navarra – Fernando’s blog
35. @ken_nixon (?)
36. @zoe9 (UK): Zoe Sands, Internet Marketing Manager – Online Brand Experience Europe at Cisco
37. @ram180 (US)
38. @Wachovia (US)
39. @CharlieKroll (US): Charlie Kroll, CEO at Andera, Inc. – Charlie’s blog
40. @jacquesbrisson (Canada): Jacques Brisson, Architecte corporatif at Banque Nationale du Canada
41. @LJ3000 (US): Lori Jomsky, SVP Market Intelligence at Informa Research
42. @Chris_Skinner (UK): Chris Skinner, Chairman at The Financial Services Club – Chris’ blog
43. @The_resource (US)
44. @Yodlee (US)
45. @JohnRyanGlobal (Global)
47. @corinnepaterson (Australia): Corinne Paterson, Channel Support Manager at Newcastle Permanent Building Society
48. @banktastic (US)
49. @netbanker (US): Jim Bruene, Owner at Online Banking Report –Netbanker.com
50. @RobertLommers (Netherlands): Robert Lommers, Advisor New Media at Rabobank – Robert’s blog
VB Twitter Watch: 74 twitter accounts tracked so far
Since Visible Banking Twitter Watch #2, I have added 1 twitter account to the list: @FMBCustServ.
I am currently tracking the following FIs with a presence on Twitter:
* US – Banks: 1st Mariner Bank (2), Bank of America (2), Bank of Oklahoma, Chase Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Citibank, Fidelity Bank, First Arkansas Bank, First Federal, First National Bank, Hancock Bank, ING Direct, Nicolet Bank, North Shore Bank, Northeast Bank, Poeples State Bank, RBC Bank, Suntrust Bank, SVB_Financial, Wachovia, Webster Bank, Wells Fargo (2),
* US – Credit Unions: 66 Fed CU, Bellco CU, Brewery CU, COP CU, CU CU, ELGA CU, FORUM CU, Group Health CU, Idahy CU, Kemba CU, KU CU, NWGA CU, Oklahoma Employees CU, Pioneer CU, Tech CU, Telesis CU, US First CU,
* US – Credit Cards Issuers: Advanta, Discover Card,
* US – Insurance: AIG Hawaii, Dear AIG, VPI Pet Insurance
* Spain – Banks: Banco de Santader, Banco Sabadell, BBVA, Caja Navarra
* Canada: RBC, Vancity (2)
* The Netherlands – Banks: Friesland Bank, Rabobank (2)
* Germany – Banks: BNP Paribas, GLS Bank, SEB Bank
* Australia: ANZozCEO, ANZMoneyManager, NAB, Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help
* South Africa: First National Bank
* Chile: Banco de Chile
* Ecuador: Banco de Guayaquil
* Puerto Rico: Banco Popular
* Romania: Libra Bank
* UK: Capital One
To find out more about social media in banking and financial services, I invite you to check my social media directory and to contribute.