I started to identify and track the financial institutions on twitter since 15 March 2009.
It is a work in progress, so please do not hesitate to flag any missing initiatives!
On regular basis, I will post some statistics and insights to understand how banks are leveraging twitter. I will do my best to spot the hit and miss, the best practices, the most innovative initiatives and the funniest ones.
VB – Twitter Statistics
Please find below some stats (23 April 2009).
* Followers of FIs: 25,443 (total) / 353 (average)
* Updates from FIs: 19,336 (total) / 269 (average)
* Branded Pages: 26 or 35% (basic) / 8 or 10% (advanced)
* Top 3 FIs – Largest Group of Followers: @Wachovia (2,992), Advanta’s@Ideablob (1,902), @BofA_Help (1,759)
-> Since April 14th, 20 FIs saw their follower base grow by more than 25%, 4 by more than 50%.
-> @DearAIG follower base has more than tripled to 1,808 followers (1,266 new followers)!
-> 32 FIs have 200+ followers, 14 have 500+ followers, only 6 have 1,000+ followers
* The 1,000+ Follower Club: in addition to @Wachovia, @Ideablob and@BofA_Help, we have @DearAIG, @INGDIRECT and @WellsFargo. Congratulations to the new members! Next week, Wells Fargo will become the first bank to have two accounts in the club with @Ask_WellsFargo.
* Top 3 FIs – Most Active: @BancoSabadell (2,501), @CajaNavarra (2,055),@ideablob (1,611)
Please note that @bsantander should be first and @DearAIG is technically third with 1,808 followers, but neither of them are official twitter pages. DearAIG has been created by angry customers for angry customers.
VB – Comments
* Gone: it looks like @HSBCOffshoreclosed its twitter account.
* Rebranded: @ANZozCEOrebranded its page with a picture of Brian. Good job.
* Followers: @bbvaopentalent and@bancoguayaquil lost some followers. Is it just the start of a new trend for FIs?
* Following: I personally think that FIs should not systematically follow all their followers. Two FIs refreshed their following list: between 20-23 April,@ANZMoneyManager got rid of 92 accounts and @DearAIG got rid of 2 accounts.
@Visible_Banking on Twitter / Followers 11-30
In addition to Visible-Banking.com, the Visible Banking Page on Facebook, thanks for following me on Twitter. I am glad to announce that @Visible_Banking has 213 followersso far.
Thank you all for engaging with me on this exciting platform, and spreading the word around you!
Please find below my followers 11-30 (listed by chronological order):
11. @mariaandros (US): Maria Andros, CEO Video Marketing Queen at Video Marketing Queen
12. @Geezeo (US): I invite you to check my video interview with Shawn Ward, Geezeo’s Co-Founder.
13. @denisvacher (France): Denis Vacher, New Means of Payment at Orange France – Denis’ blog
14. @insiden (France)
15. @guykawasaki (US): Guy Kawasaki, Co-Founder at Nononina – I loved reading the inspirational ‘The Art of the Start‘ – Guy’s blog
16. @leebryant (UK): Lee Bryant, Co-founder and Director at Headshift
17. @strands (US, Spain): they deisgned BBVA’s “Tu Cuentas”.
18. @trabian (US): Matt Dean, President/CEO at Trabian Technology, Inc.
19. @aden_76 (UK): Aden Davies, Innovation Technician at HSBC
20. @mferrari (US): Michael Ferrari, Owner at SmartyPig
21. @shahvikash (US): Vikash Shah, Management – Development Program at Flagstar Bank – Vikash’s Kiva profile
22. @wazaroff (Canada): William Azaroff, Director, Online Banking & Engagement at Vancity – William is the father of the award winningchangeeverything.ca – Check my video interview with William
23. @Bori_Rozin (Israel)
24. @simontaylor (Hong-Kong): Simon Taylor, Managing Consultant at Text 100
25. @johanbryggare (Sweden): Johan Bryggare, Web Manager at SEB
26. @BrendanCooper (UK): Brendan Cooper, Copywriter – Brendan’s blog
27. @robfindlay (Australia): Rob Findlay, Manager, Customer Experience, Direct at NAB – Blogger at TheBankChannel.com
28. @CajaNavarra (Spain)
29. @smarthippo (Canada)
30. @mmpartee (US): Morriss Partee, Chief Experience Officer at EverythingCU.com – Morriss’ blog
VB Twitter Watch: 73 twitter accounts tracked so far
Since Visible Banking Twitter Watch #1, I have added 7 twitter accounts to the list: ANZMoneyManager, NAB, Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help (thanks to Rob Findlay @ thebankchannel) and SVB_Financial.
I am currently tracking the following FIs with a presence on Twitter:
* US – Banks: 1st Mariner Bank, Bank of America (2), Bank of Oklahoma, Chase Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Citibank, Fidelity Bank, First Arkansas Bank, First Federal, First National Bank, Hancock Bank, ING Direct, Nicolet Bank, North Shore Bank, Northeast Bank, Poeples State Bank, RBC Bank, Suntrust Bank, SVB_Financial, Wachovia, Webster Bank, Wells Fargo (2),
* US – Credit Unions: 66 Fed CU, Bellco CU, Brewery CU, COP CU, CU CU, ELGA CU, FORUM CU, Group Health CU, Idahy CU, Kemba CU, KU CU, NWGA CU, Oklahoma Employees CU, Pioneer CU, Tech CU, Telesis CU, US First CU,
* US – Credit Cards Issuers: Advanta, Discover Card,
* US – Insurance: AIG Hawaii, Dear AIG, VPI Pet Insurance
* Spain – Banks: Banco de Santader, Banco Sabadell, BBVA, Caja Navarra
* Canada: RBC, Vancity (2)
* The Netherlands – Banks: Friesland Bank, Rabobank (2)
* Germany – Banks: BNP Paribas, GLS Bank, SEB Bank
* Australia: ANZozCEO, ANZMoneyManager, NAB, Raboplus, RaboplusNZ, Ubank, Westpac_help
* South Africa: First National Bank
* Chile: Banco de Chile
* Ecuador: Banco de Guayaquil
* Puerto Rico: Banco Popular
* Romania: Libra Bank
* UK: Capital One
To find out more about social media in banking and financial services, I invite you to check my social media directory and to contribute.