SoLoMo. Kotak Mahindra Bank organized a social media banking contest on twitter, in close to 200 banking branches, to celebrate foursquare day. Mayors won a goodie bag and a drink.
Every year April 16 is celebrated as Foursquare Day or #4sqDay. This year marked the 4th anniversary of the service.
Foursquare users, fans of the most popular check-in app in the world, always gather in real life as part of a series of meetups organized all over the world, including in India.
Kotak Bank (@KotakBankLtd) sponsored the foursquare day events both in Mumbai & Bangalore: the bank was keen to reach their fans and promote themself not only on foursquare but also two other popular social media channels, facebook and twitter.
The rewards of attending a 4SqDay meetup
- Unlocking TWO badges in one day (#4SqDay & Swarm Badge)
- Meeting fellow foursquare geeks
- Winning official goodies and the sponsor’s goodies
Kotak Bank & Foursquare
In the run up to #4SqDay, Kotak Mahindra Bank ran a special promotion to urge users to checkin in their banking branches by rewarding foursquare mayors.
For 150+ locations across Mumbai, anyone who checked-in at Kotak Mahindra Bank location in Mumbai and successfully became a mayor (with the most number of check-ins for a location in last 60 days) was given on foursquare day a goodie bag and a complimentary drink.
For 30+ locations in Bangalore, the call to action was even more simple, anyone who checked-in at any Kotak Mahindra Bank branches being given a goodie bag.
In order to build up the amount of buzz and excitement around their foursquare campaign, Kotak Mahindra Bank also tapped twitter and flagged conversations with a dedicated hashtag:
- The #KotakBankMayor contest was held around a series of simple questions about foursquare and Kotak bank
- Contestants had to check-in and share with a creative message about the bank’s twitter contest
Please find below the results as shared with me by my main contact at the bank:
- The number of likes for their main foursquare page account grew from 80 likes to 173 likes
- Kotak Bank locations saw multiples of 10 check-ins on the day of the event
- Salt Water Café (the main venue for the celebrations in Mumbai) saw 100+ check-ins, and unlocked the Swarm Badge