Interview Part 1 – Interview Part 2
Since pretty much the launch of the Visible Banking blog back in February 2007, I’ve been following first direct’s activity in the social media space.
I believe my first video comments on the most recommended UK bank was about first direct interactive (July 2007).
First direct is unarguably the most experimental UK bank in the social media space, especially in terms of PR and Brand. I must admit I’ve always wanted more from first direct:
* more on the social customer care (Lloyds TSB has taken the lead on twitter in the UK), and
* more on Customer Generated Content (CGC) and the Voice of the Customer (VOC).
On the later, first direct recently launched the first crowdsourcing experiment of its kind in the UK banking industry, first direct Lab, where first direct invites their customers to share their comments, their suggestions, and confirm their expectations in a very public and transparent way.
On Monday 3rd October I had the pleasure to meet and interview Mark Mullen, first direct’s new CEO. A big thank you to Amanda Brown – PR Manager for facilitating this meeting.
Now I will let you find out how much info I gathered on the topic of social customer care…
Promising, isn’t it? ;)Mark is a great guy with an extensive experience of the industry and a key focus on people (customers and employees). No wonder I found our meeting inspiring. I’ve only spent 45 minutes with him, but I found Mark very approachable, fun and frank. And the man has taste! I was delighted to find out that we were both big fans of Aaron Sorkin‘s work: ‘the Social Network‘ and ‘the West Wing‘ are some of his most famous achievements on the big and the small screens. Mark advised me to watch ‘Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip‘, any fans of that series out there?
Please note that Mark’s official first day at the helm of the most loved bank in the UK was on 1st September 2011.
Video Interview with Mark Mullen, first direct’s CEO (Part 2)
This interview is available on the Visible Banking YouTube Channel.
* First direct is one of the coolest brands in the UK
* Employee empowerment, advocacy, tone of voice (01:00)
* When will first direct start embracing social customer care? (03:50)
* Should a banking CEO embrace social media? (06:40)
* Can a CEO drive market share by reaching out to his customers himself? (08:00)
* “Conversation is the heart and soul of first direct” (10:13)
* Live and learn: “we are proud of the fact that we are learning” (10:55)