American Express drives financial services innovation with Twitter payments using special #hashtags. With Amex Sync, users can turn Twitter hashtags into purchases just by syncing their cards at the Amex Sync website.
The hashtags can buy American Express gift cards, products from Amazon, Sony, Urban Zen, and Xbox 360 through Amex’s Card Sync technology. The technology first launched on Twitter last March delivers paperless savings their card members who tweet their special #hashtags.
American Express offers $25 gift cards which can be purchased via a synced card for only $15 by tweeting #BuyAmexGiftCard25. This offer is limited only to one per card member and expires on March 3, 2013.
The catalogue of other products available will be released on February 13 coupled with the full list of product hashtags which will be highlighted on the favorites section of @AmericanExpress Twitter page. Card members can already sync their cards at the Amex Sync portal in advance.
How to Sync to Buy Products on Twitter
- Sync your card at sync.americanexpress.com/twitter.
- Card members tweet product hashtags they want to buy with their synced card.
- Members then check their Twitter mentions in the @Connect tab for a response from @AmexSync for a confirmation hashtag. Tweet the hashtag within 15 minutes of the response from @AmexSync to confirm.
- Products bought will be shipped to the member’s billing address free courtesy of American Express.
Specially priced products available on February 13
- $25 American Express Gift Card: $15.00
- Amazon Kindle Fire HD: $149.99 plus tax
- Sony Action Cam and Waterproof Headband Mount: $179.99 plus tax
- Urban Zen Bracelet: $80.00 plus tax
- Xbox 360 4GB with a 3-month Xbox Live Subscription and 2 Game Tokens: $179.99 plus tax
- Xbox Controller: $29.99 tax
The product hashtags will be released in the “favorites” section of @AmericanExpress Twitter page.
Leslie Berland, Senior Vice President, Digital Partnerships and Development at American Express: “Based on the initial success of Amex Sync for offers, we know there is significant power in combining our assets with Twitter’s platform to bring value to Cardmembers and merchants.”
Covered by my Visible Banking Team
In your opinion, how big is the impact of this twitter payment innovation by American Express in the worldwide financial services industry? Will we soon notice a dramatic take up of P2P payments through social media channels like facebook or twitter? Does those social payment services need to be refined first?
[tweet https://twitter.com/Visible_Banking/status/301602452875120640 width=’640′]